
Playing with Grandma when I was young often involved rhymes, finger-plays, and teasing. It looked something like this:
(Grandma touching my forehead) "You live here ..."
(touching my chin) "and I live there..."
(moving finger around my face) "and I go around and around and..."
(finger up the middle of my face, over my nose and to my forehead) "UP TO SEE YOU !"
Much giggling followed.
(pointing to my forehead) "rooster"
(pointing to my nose) "pullet" (I heard pull-it)
(pointing to my chin) "hen"
(back to pointing at nose) "what's this?"
I'd say "pull it" and she would. I did not know that a "pullet" was a kind of chicken until I was in my late teens. I never understood this game as a child, because why would we I tell her to "pull it" when we were talking about chickens!? It was really funny later.
"Did you ever see a turkey peep over a log?"
"No..."
Then she'd grab the hair at the top of your neck and pull up quickly, saying "PEEP!"
(grabbing my ears) "Dictator, dictator..."
(turning my head to left, then to the right...by my ears) "See anybody this way? See anybody that way?"
These are only a few. Please add your own if you have some. There are so many that I've forgotten a lot of them.
Erica
(Grandma touching my forehead) "You live here ..."
(touching my chin) "and I live there..."
(moving finger around my face) "and I go around and around and..."
(finger up the middle of my face, over my nose and to my forehead) "UP TO SEE YOU !"
Much giggling followed.
(pointing to my forehead) "rooster"
(pointing to my nose) "pullet" (I heard pull-it)
(pointing to my chin) "hen"
(back to pointing at nose) "what's this?"
I'd say "pull it" and she would. I did not know that a "pullet" was a kind of chicken until I was in my late teens. I never understood this game as a child, because why would we I tell her to "pull it" when we were talking about chickens!? It was really funny later.
"Did you ever see a turkey peep over a log?"
"No..."
Then she'd grab the hair at the top of your neck and pull up quickly, saying "PEEP!"
(grabbing my ears) "Dictator, dictator..."
(turning my head to left, then to the right...by my ears) "See anybody this way? See anybody that way?"
These are only a few. Please add your own if you have some. There are so many that I've forgotten a lot of them.
Erica
No comments:
Post a Comment